Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I Find in the Woods

Today I was in Bukit Timah and I found this fascinating little arthropod:He was, needless to say, huge. My foot is in the bottom picture for reference, but it still doesn't really do it justice. When I first spotted it, I thought it was a snake. And then I realized it wasn't. Then I proceeded to take lots of pictures and stare at it for a really long time. I like bugs, especially when they're not in my apartment. I think it's a giant Asian millipede, but I couldn't find much information about huge insects residing in Singapore, so if you think it might be something else, please let me know (you can post a comment below). When it walked, it looked like its legs were moving in waves. Unlike centipedes, millipedes actually don't move very quickly, so I had a lot of time to watch him.

The other day, I saw this little guy:
He's a many-lined sun skink. He was hanging out on this log, basking (baskink?! haha) in the sunshine. Pretty cute. I ran into him just after I almost stepped on a monitor lizard's tail, and I scared the lizard, and he scared me, and we both ran away from each other.


I walk past this plant/tree thing all the time and it's my favorite. I think it looks like a bad hair day.So, sometimes I don't find the monkeys, but I always find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment