Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Vegetarian Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day in Singapore was most definitely overshadowed by the first day of Chinese New Year, which also occurred on February 14th this year. Many places were shut down for the entire four-day weekend, but my favorite restaurant was open, and Bryan was very sweet and took me there. It was extra nice of him considering that my favorite place, Original Sin, is entirely vegetarian. But as usual, the food that we got was so delicious that I don't think Bryan even missed the meat. On the way there, Bryan bought me this psychedelically colored rose!

At the restaurant, we had a cozy table outside, with candlelight and rose petals all over. Dinner was an amazing, five-course affair, starting off with sparkling wine, followed by a delicious salad with cute little hard-boiled quail's eggs in it. Then we had each had eggplant stuffed with vegetables and topped with fancy cheese. The sauce on the eggplant was amazing. I was in vegetarian heaven. For our main course, I had spinach and ricotta filo pastries, and Bryan had a risotto cake stacked on a portobello mushroom with a roasted tomato and a small salad on top. We ended up splitting our meals in half and sharing them. Everything looked awesome, but I didn't want to ruin the ambiance of our date by snapping pictures every time another course came to the table- I couldn't resist one photo of his meal though- and doesn't he look nice?!The grand finale of the meal was chocolate melting cake with vanilla ice cream and fresh berries. It was decadent, and like everything else, amazingly delicious. Unlike other places in Singapore, the service at Original Sin is pretty good, and the manager remembered us from the first time we visited there over six months ago, even recalling the table where we were seated! It was a romantic date, and it was nice to relax and enjoy the most scrumptious food I've had in as long as I can remember. I felt very lucky to have a carnivorous boyfriend who's so willing to eat vegetarian most of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment