Sunday, January 9, 2011

Livin' it up in the Gold Class

Bryan's birthday was this week and I wanted to do something fun for him that wasn't too off-the-wall since we were celebrating on a work night and I was still recovering from the meanest case of jet lag I've ever had.  Dinner and a movie sounded about right, but not quite exciting enough for a birthday celebration.  I looked around and found exactly what I was looking for- a movie with a twist.

VivoCity has a "Gold Class" theater, advertised as a posh alternative to the regular theater. I took Bryan there to see Meet the Parents: Little Fockers.  You can relax in their lounge before the movie, and in the movie you kick back in your own big, comfy recliner, complete with your very own cozy blanket.  Waitresses come in to take your order- of course you can get popcorn and soda, or you can order off a menu that includes cocktails and full meals.  We opted for nachos and cocktails (all cutely named after movies- I had a "Devil Wears Prada," which was tasty, but I'm pretty sure it was just a vodka-cranberry).  The movie was pretty good- not as funny as the first two but still enjoyable- but the real treat was relaxing, wrapping up in a blanket, and being more comfortable watching a movie at the theater than we are in our own apartment!  It felt a little silly to have waiters and attendants fussing over us like we were made of money, but it was a good time.  It was a little expensive, so if we did it again it would probably only be for a special occasion.  If only we could fly back and forth to the US in this kind of style!
Birthday Bryan
Gold Class lounge
Coziest movie seats ever

After the movie we got dinner at the Marché in VivoCity, which was a lot like the one at 313@Somerset but smaller and without the hilarious animatronic sheep.  We both are crazy about the restaurant (I have blabbed about my love of  Marché at length in this post), so it was a treat to try it out at a new location.  I think the birthday boy was pretty happy with his day!

No comments:

Post a Comment